[GTALUG] Ubuntu Studio: Sound not working in all applications

Paul King sciguy at vex.net
Sat Feb 20 09:51:14 UTC 2016

This *appears* to be fixed. The dialog I used wasn't located in any place where
you would normally find the settings.

1. I clicked
   Audio Production | Mixers and card control | PulseAudio volume control
2. Under the configuration tab, I noticed HDMI sound was "unplugged". I don't
think I was using HDMI for sound, so didn't worry about it. Below that, was a
setting for "Built-in Stereo", which I set to "Analog stereo" in the dropdown.
I have conventional speakers hooked up to the sound with conventional
eighth-inch jacks. I wasn't sure what passed for "analog" since I thought all
sound was digital on a computer. It turned out to be a lucky guess for me.
3. I set analog as the fallback device.
4. There was another tab I clicked where I had to select "analog stereo" as an
output setting. I am not on Linux now, so I can't recall the tab, but I believe
it was the "Output devices" tab.

Thanks for everyone's help. I don't know if the changes are made permanent in
any way, since I would have to reboot into linux to know for sure.

Paul King