[GTALUG] (Fwd) Re: Ubuntu Studio: Sound not working in all applications

Paul King sciguy at vex.net
Sat Feb 20 09:17:35 UTC 2016

Some other oddments of the sound on my system:
The Ubuntu online docs suggested I run
   aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
as a "fail-safe" audio file that is touted to work in all configs. It worked
when:
   a) I was logged on as root on a console (ie, one of the ALT+# screens);
   b) when I logged onto a console with my joeuser account (as myself) and ran
      the command with sudo.
It did not work when logged in as myself, as myself on X-windows, or sudoed in
X-Windows under my account, nor did it work if I logged on to X-windows as
root.

In summary, logging in as root in a TTY has the best sound right now.