[GTALUG] Lightdm "Secure Remote connection"

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 06:58:33 UTC 2016

On 7 February 2016 at 14:25, William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> 1. You may need to configure the remote Lightdm to accept incoming XDMCP
> connection.  If
>     X -query 192.168.0.105
> works, then it's accepting.  Search for "XDMCP" keyword.
>
> 2. Check the firewall on port 177 and 6000-6010.  No need, if #1 works.
> :-)
>
> 3. Now, encryption part...  I don't know what "Secure Remote Connection"
> means.  It could mean port forwarding via SSH (-X or -Y option).  Or, it
> could mean some new features of Lightdm, in which case, check its config
> file.

It seems to me that if it's doing what we're both guessing it's doing
- ie. using ssh to connect to the remote machine before forwarding the
connection - then the firewall rules are unnecessary because all
connections are local.  Nevertheless, I've applied them.  Still no
joy.

The only thing that made a difference (and only on localhost) was
changing /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config from "allow_users=console" to
"allow_users=anyone".  This changed the output of "X -query localhost"
from "you don't have permission" to:

    (EE)
    Fatal server error:
    (EE) Server is already active for display 0
            If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
            and start again.
    (EE)
    (EE)
    Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
            at http://wiki.x.org
    for help.
    (EE)

A hint online suggested that since I already have X running on :0, I
should use "X -query localhost:1" which gets much the same error as
above, with one line changed:

    Fatal server error:
    (EE) Xserver: Name or service not known: -query localhost:1

And yet, this command:

    Xephyr -query localhost -screen 1024x768 -dpi 96 -terminate :1 &

works exactly as expected, starting X in a box.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr at gmail.com