[GTALUG] EverNote Alternatives for the Linux User

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 13:03:57 EST 2016

On 15 December 2016 at 12:40, Brad Fonseca via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm sure members of this forum have heard of this but I just found out
> that Evernote has updated their privacy policy
> (<https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/235660588>) to allow "some
> Evernote employees to exercise oversight of machine learning
> technologies applied to account content, subject to the limits described
> below, for the purposes of developing and improving the Evernote
> service." The notice goes on to say, "While our computer systems do a
> pretty good job, sometimes a limited amount of human review is simply
> unavoidable in order to make sure everything is working exactly as it
> should."
> (<http://www.computerworld.com/article/3150469/cloud-computing/evernote-changes-its-privacy-policy-and-once-again-alarms-its-users.html>)
>
> I was wondering if there are any Linux-friendly alternatives to Evernote
> that members of this forum would recommend? Ideally, I would want
> "cloud" access so I can add notes both from an Android app and from a
> web browser app. There are other features, like image capture, which
> would be nice but I know that can be replicated in other ways. The
> caveat would be that my information is encrypted or secured from the
> issue above. Is this even possible?

I've just discovered "Google Keep."  I'm not saying it solves any of
the woes you're mentioning, I just put it out there as an alternative.
I like it, but I admit I'm deliberately not trusting it with important
stuff, just my grocery list.

I'd also argue that any data you store on a remote server in
unencrypted form is inevitably subject to occasional human eyeballs.
A classic example is a sysadmin trying to fix a busted mail spool:
sometimes you just have to look at the data.  So I'm not sure how much
their policy-based admission of this fact actually changes the
reality.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/