[GTALUG] Cyber Monday cheap netbook

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Fri Dec 9 09:58:05 EST 2016

I'd prefer to leave Windows as is. Have you tried booting Linux from SF card?-- William

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 2:22 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk<talk at gtalug.org> wrote:   | From: D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| <https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/ASUS-EeeBook-E402SA-UB03-BL-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.5083331100>

(The deal is over.)

I ended up thinking of a use for one of these and bought it.

I learned:

- it is easy to install Linux, replacing Win 10 on the eMMC "disk".
  It "just works" (wipe all partitions but the first; that will
  become /boot/efi).

- before replacing Win 10, update the UEFI firmware.

- before replacing Win 10, consider creating a "recovery disk" on a
  USB stick.

- the touchpad is a little bit off and perhaps I should have updated
  the Win driver for it: it might contain updated firmware.  On the
  other hand, the driver file is a year old so it probably came with
  my netebook

- I think that there is room to install a 3.5" drive in the computer.
  (The computer came with the required mounting screws).  This is a
  BIG bonus: it provides a bunch of interesting options.  So it would
  be reasonable to add an SSD or HDD.  This would provide sufficient
  space for leaving Win 10 and installing Linux on the added drive.
  This added load might shrink battery life.
---
Talk Mailing List
talk at gtalug.org