[GTALUG] Cyber Monday cheap netbook

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Dec 9 11:56:16 EST 2016

| From: William Park via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
| To: D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <talk at gtalug.org>,
|     GTALUG Talk <talk at gtalug.org>

Everyone got two copies of this because you didn't notice that the
list software rewrote my address to be the list address.  Notice that it
has happened to your "From:" address too.

Of course rewriting my address is horrible, but it is forced on the list
software by various big email hosts (eg. google) rejecting forwarded mail.

Grrr.

| I'd prefer to leave Windows as is. Have you tried booting Linux from SF card?

No.  It should work.  But it is likely slower than the 32G eMMC "disk"
built in.  And likely less reliable.

I have tried booting another tiny Win10 box off an SD card, and that
failed.  Some dumb limitation of the UEFI firmware.  I have no idea how
widespread that silly "feature" is.

Windows used to refuse to install on a removable drive.  This was
apparently an anti-piracy measure.  I think that with their new license
verification process Microsoft has loosened that restriction.

In any case, I have some cheap 3.5" drives laying about.  If I had any
plausible requirement for Windows on this box, or a need for more than 32G
on linux, I would add a SATA drive to this netbook.