[GTALUG] Setting up a VM host

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Aug 29 12:35:55 EDT 2016

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 11:01:55AM -0400, Alvin Starr wrote:
> On 08/29/2016 10:07 AM, Lennart Sorensen via talk wrote:
> >On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 09:33:50PM -0400, William Park via talk wrote:
> >>- QEMU and VirtualBox.  They both use KVM.
> >Virtualbox does not use kvm.  It will use vt-x if you have it.
> >kvm requires it.
> Its kind of the other way around.
> Virtualbox uses QEMU as does Xen and I am sure it appears in some form with
> other virtualization platforms.
> QEMU is the go-to source for hardware emulation.

qemu yes, kvm no.

Virtualbox and kvm (and xen I believe) use qemu for device emulation.

Virtualbox does not use kvm (that would make it hard to run on windows
after all).

qemu-system knows how to use kvm if you ask it to (with -enable-kvm)
which is of course much faster than the normal qemu cpu emulation.

--
Len Sorensen