[GTALUG] Setting up a VM host

Alex Volkov avolkov at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 16:10:51 EDT 2016

I don't think this was mentioned before, but KVM/libvirt with shell
interface, besides gui inteface (virt-manager) there's a shell interface
virsh, which let you configure VM using shells scripts.

libvirt, is just a bunch of processes with, and I'm sorry, xml config files
located in /etc/libvirt. You can have any number of virtualization
technologies (LXC, KVM) and any number user backends -- (virt-manager,
virsh); managing all of that requires copying configuration and image files
around -- it doesn't get any simpler than that; unlike QEMU, you don't need
to pass long line of arguments to start up the machine and you get such
niceties as autostarting VMs on machine boot, not to mention that the whole
thing is enterpris-y and supported by redhat.

Actually virt-manager works pretty well -- libvirt likes ssh, and uses
client/server architecture, so when connecting to a remote host you don't
have to  tunnel it through ssh, just have it on a client machine and give
it a correct url.