[GTALUG] Wireless router -- which one?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Aug 22 10:01:37 EDT 2016

| From: William Park via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| My current router is Asus RT-N66U.  I didn't have problem with stock
| firmware.  But, after upgrading to the latest firmware this weekend, I'm
| experiencing "bufferbloat" problem.  When I download a large file (eg.
| ISO file), I can't browse or send emails or anything, until the download
| is finished or terminated.

What does "latest firmware" mean?  Which firmware?  dd-wrt?  Asus' own?

I'm assuming that the bandwidth bottleneck is between your modem and
your ISP.  I guess your wireless LAN might have lower bandwidth than
your broadband connection, but that doesn't happen often.

I'm also assuming that you are just using a simple transport for the
ISO, not bittorrent.

I don't remember the details of how bufferbloat works, but it seems to
me that the most obvious thing is that the problem is on the sending
side, not receiving.  That suggests that the buffering problem is on
the other side of the wire from you.

It's not impossible for your side to moderate the flow from upstream.
It could delay ACKs.  I don't remember that bufferbloat-avoiding code
does that.

|     What dual-band router has QoS to deal with "buffer bloat" problem?
|     I think queuing algorithm is called "fq_codel" or something.

I don't think the bufferbloat is related to QoS.