[GTALUG] Wireless router -- which one?

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Sun Aug 21 20:23:22 EDT 2016

Short version:

    What dual-band router has QoS to deal with "buffer bloat" problem?
    I think queuing algorithm is called "fq_codel" or something.

Long version:

My current router is Asus RT-N66U.  I didn't have problem with stock
firmware.  But, after upgrading to the latest firmware this weekend, I'm
experiencing "bufferbloat" problem.  When I download a large file (eg.
ISO file), I can't browse or send emails or anything, until the download
is finished or terminated.

Right now, I'm using my previous router TP-LINK TL-WDR4300 with DD-WRT.
But, its 5GHz band is flaky, and it needs frequent reboot.  The very
reason why I replaced it in the first place.

So, it's time for a new router.  I'm looking at Asus or Linksys.  Any
recommendation based on what you have or what you've heard?
--
William