[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

Kevin Cozens kevin at ve3syb.ca
Tue Aug 9 16:12:06 EDT 2016

On 16-08-09 03:54 PM, Stewart C. Russell via talk wrote:
> On 2016-08-09 09:35 AM, Steve Petrie, P.Eng. via talk wrote:
>>
>> On the Windows XP PC that is going to be replaced by the new Linux PC,
>> the DDS-3 DAT SCSI tape drive has died, that does backup duty for the
>> HDD. Died too soon by only a couple of months -- !@#$%^&*(!!

I used to use 4mm DAT tapes to backup my machine some years ago. It seemed
like a good idea at the time. I don't know if any of my tapes ever went bad
but the drives certainly did. I had 3 drives die on me in different ways (4
if you count the fact I was able to take parts from two that died in
different ways to get a working drive).

I've given up on the use of tape. I use external hard drives for backup.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.