[GTALUG] Advice -- Building Debian 8 PC To Replace Win XP PC;

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 15:54:17 EDT 2016

On 2016-08-09 09:35 AM, Steve Petrie, P.Eng. via talk wrote:

> On the Windows XP PC that is going to be replaced by the new Linux PC,
> the DDS-3 DAT SCSI tape drive has died, that does backup duty for the
> HDD. Died too soon by only a couple of months -- !@#$%^&*(!!

Better to spend $90 on something like a WD 1TB My Passport Portable
External Hard Drive
<http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=15_213_602&item_id=089777>
than faff with tape. DAT-style drives and media just seem to
self-destruct after a while. So many of my friends in the music industry
have found that their cherished "DAT masters" are unreadable.

cheers,
 Stewart