[GTALUG] GTALUG - BUILDING DEBIAN 8 PC TO REPLACE WIN XP PC

Ivan Avery Frey ivan.avery.frey at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 12:48:44 EDT 2016

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016, 10:58 Steve Petrie,

snip

> I do realize that the DSL modem provides a dial up "line" in parallel
> with the high-bandwidth DSL link.
>
> However, there is still a difference between: 1. a telephone link over a
> twisted pair of physical copper wires, and 2. an emulation of a
> telephone link, over a DSL modem.

The DSL modem does not provide a dial up "line" in parallel with the DSL
link. DSL operates over the same wires as the traditional phone service.
One does need a small filter to prevent the DSL signals from interfering
with the use of the telephone link.