[GTALUG] GTALUG - BUILDING DEBIAN 8 PC TO REPLACE WIN XP PC

Steve Petrie, P.Eng. apetrie at aspetrie.net
Mon Aug 1 10:58:23 EDT 2016

Hello Loui,

Thanks for your message.

My comments are inline below.

Steve

----- Original Message -----
From: "Loui Chang" <louipc.ist at gmail.com>
To: "Steve Petrie, P.Eng." <apetrie at aspetrie.net>; "GTALUG Talk"
<talk at gtalug.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2016 1:54 PM
Subject: Re: [GTALUG] GTALUG - BUILDING DEBIAN 8 PC TO REPLACE WIN XP PC

> On Sat 30 Jul 2016 01:26 -0400, Steve Petrie, P.Eng. via talk wrote:
>> Maybe I'm just a Nervous Nellie, but I would rather try first to get
>> the
>> Linux PC to work with a dial-up modem, so I can continue to use
>> dial-up on
>> the Windows XP PC for my live production email operations.
>
> There is no need. You can use dial up and DSL simulaneously. Thus you
> can keep
> using the Windows PC and dialup at the same time as a Linux PC on DSL.

I do realize that the DSL modem provides a dial up "line" in parallel
with the high-bandwidth DSL link.

However, there is still a difference between: 1. a telephone link over a
twisted pair of physical copper wires, and 2. an emulation of a
telephone link, over a DSL modem.

So, I prefer not to make the switch from dial up to DSL, until after the
new Linux PC is working using a dial up modem with the current plain
copper twisted-pair connection. While the Win XP system continues to
work for live production Internet use, as always, via dial up modem over
the twisted pair.

* * *
* * *

Based on Russell Reiter's advice that a (e.g. USRobotics) USB dial up
modem looks promising for use with Linux, and based on my subsequent my
research into this USB modem idea, I am pretty confident that a USB dial
up modem will work on Linux debian 8.

So the plan will be:

0. Continue to use the existing Win XP PC dial up modem as usual,
connecting to the dial up ISP over the existing twisted copper pair
telephone landline.

1. Get the new Linux PC working with a USB dial up modem, connecting to
the dial up ISP over the same existing dial up twisted copper pair
telephone landline.

2, Migrate email folders and email operations (sending, receiving via
POP3) from the Win XP PC to the Linux PC, while the new Linux PC uses
the USB dial up modem for its Internet connection. Migrate the mail
folders using a direct high-speed Ethernet crossover cable connection
between the Win XP PC and the Linux PC.

3. Upgrade the telco twisted copper pair line to DSL service from plain
landline telephone service.

4. Get the new Linux PC to connect to the (DSL) ISP, using the DSL line
service, instead of using the USB dial up modem and dial up ISP.

5. Try (as Loui suggests) using the dial up modem on the Windows XP PC,
through the DSL modem's voice phone link, to connect to the dial up ISP.