[GTALUG] update to Win 10, a war story

Alex Beamish talexb at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 16:38:40 UTC 2016

On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 9:40 AM, John Moniz <john.moniz at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> On 04/09/2016 03:58 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Apr 09, 2016 at 01:29:45PM -0400, James Knott wrote:
>>
>>> I had similar when updating¹ the W10 version in a virtual machine on my
>>> notebook computer.  The update failed for no apparent reason.  Also,
>>> this was a W10 to W10 update.  Putting more memory in the computer
>>> worked for me too.
>>>
>> Except the solution here was to remove memory, not add memory.
>>
>> 1) I say updating, as calling anything from Microsoft an upgrade would
>>> be overly optimistic.  ;-)
>>>
>> I have a laptop for a particular application that has to use MS windows.
> It is now running on Win7. I've been resisting the move to W10, despite the
> constant nagging of the MS 'helpful' notices. This is a production computer
> and interfaces with the government frequently.
>
> Should I bite the bullet and switch to W10? I'm afraid the government
> might force me switch some day, and it'll surely be after the free
> switchover window is closed.
>
> Any thoughts?

I also have a Windows laptop purchased just to run an Access application.
It came with Windows 8, and one day I got a pop-up that it had downloaded
everything that it needed to install Windows 10. Since there's nothing
particularly valuable on this laptop, I shrugged and told windows to go
ahead. The upgrade went smoothly -- the interface looks a little different,
otherwise it works fine.

What did disturb me a little while after that, was booting up my computer
to get the message

  Everything is fine / All your files are exactly where you left them ..

With fear in my heart, I worried that my laptop had been trashed and all of
the files locked by some ransomware (not a big deal, but pretty damned
inconvenient). So much for the "Trust me, I'm an engineer, I know what I'm
doing." bravado.

It turned out that it was some stupid update from Microsoft [1] for some
desktop search functionality (OK -- it's Cortana, a personal assistant).
Nice idea, but a ridiculously, horrifically bad installation implementation.

Alex

1.
https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/3x88yj/all_your_files_are_where_you_left_them_what_the/

--
Alex Beamish

VP Membership, Toronto Northern Lights, 2013 Champions /
www.northernlightschorus.com
Candidate Contest Administrator, Barbershop Harmony Society /
www.barbershop.org