[GTALUG] Users in an automated environment

Jason Shaw grazer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 10:49:44 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 6:39 PM, David Thornton <northdot9 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just a friendly reminder , my question was "how do you do it?"

We use a combination of LDAP and Samba Winbind/Active Directory to manage
our users.  For general users, they are all managed in Active Directory, w/
a team that handles on-boarding (account creation, group assignment, etc)
with Winbind handling the authentication and automatic homedir creation on
first login.

For SysAdmins, we use LDAP and manually create the users because they don't
change all that often.

No real automation involved in any of it, sadly, but we made the decision
to have centralized user management vs independent users on every box.

-jason