[GTALUG] Need to get rid of old computer parts

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 7 15:24:58 UTC 2015

On Tue, Oct 06, 2015 at 10:26:29PM -0400, Alex Volkov wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I had to upgrade my old computer, and I can report a success with
> everything except VIA VL805 USB 3.0 host controller that locks up the
> system whenever I attempt to use USB 3 in Linux. Oh well.

I have encountered that in the past with other USB 3 controllers.
No idea what causes it.

Which kernel version do you have?  I have found some discussions about a
problem with some 3.1x kernels and 64bit mode on the VIA VL805 controller
with IOMMU enabled.

And apparently it mainly affects seagate external drives.

See https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-usb%40vger.kernel.org/msg43326.html
if interested.

> So right now I have a bunch of older hardware circa 07-10 that will go
> into recycling unless someone wants it and I can bring it to the next
> GTALUG meeting on Oct 13
>
> AMD Athlon XP 3800+ with heatsink but no fan

2800+ or 3200+ or what?  I have never heard of an XP 3800+.

Or is it an Athlon 64 3800+?

Not that I need any of them. :)

> Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 with heatsink and fan

I have one of those in my desktop.  Runs pretty hot, but decent
performance.

--
Len Sorensen