[GTALUG] Need to get rid of old computer parts

Alex Volkov avolkov at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 16:16:24 UTC 2015

Hi Lennart,

On 07/10/15 11:24 AM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 06, 2015 at 10:26:29PM -0400, Alex Volkov wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I had to upgrade my old computer, and I can report a success with
>> everything except VIA VL805 USB 3.0 host controller that locks up the
>> system whenever I attempt to use USB 3 in Linux. Oh well.
> I have encountered that in the past with other USB 3 controllers.
> No idea what causes it.
>
> Which kernel version do you have?  I have found some discussions about a
> problem with some 3.1x kernels and 64bit mode on the VIA VL805 controller
> with IOMMU enabled.
>
> And apparently it mainly affects seagate external drives.
>
> See https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-usb%40vger.kernel.org/msg43326.html
> if interested.

I run debian testing with kernel 4.2.0, last time I tried doing anything
in linux was in 4.1.0. I mainly tested with a 3.5" front panel \w card
reader, connected via USB3 header on the motherboard. The reader runs
realtek-something chip (I will look it up when I get home).
I'm able to boot debian USB image from bios, err, uefi, but when the OS
tries to read some pictures from SD card or usb key, about three or four
thumbnails in, the system locks up and needs to be rebooted. I found
bunch of recent posts on debian, ubuntu and fedora mailing list dealing
with very similar issues which leads me to believe it's not related to
hardware.

I tweaked with IOMMU settings for a bit, I had to enable it to get
keyboard and mouse to work during the install, but I changed settings
afterwards, I will verify this.

>> So right now I have a bunch of older hardware circa 07-10 that will go
>> into recycling unless someone wants it and I can bring it to the next
>> GTALUG meeting on Oct 13
>>
>> AMD Athlon XP 3800+ with heatsink but no fan
> 2800+ or 3200+ or what?  I have never heard of an XP 3800+.
>
> Or is it an Athlon 64 3800+?
>
> Not that I need any of them. :)
It's Athlon 64 3800+, I even cleaned up thermal grease to get the model
number, then proceeded to make a typo.

>> Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 with heatsink and fan
> I have one of those in my desktop.  Runs pretty hot, but decent
> performance.
Yes TDP is 105W, I feel dumb complaining about my now current 95W CPU. I
highly suspect the motherboard wasn't up to par and eventually gave in--
it has only one power connector for the CPU.