[GTALUG] Server rack questions

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Mon Nov 9 17:14:40 UTC 2015

On 11/09/2015 04:47 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> Servers don't come with rails, cabinets do.  Every server cabinet I've ever worked with has front and rear rails that are movable to best match the equipment.  There are also shallower cabinets that have only front rails, but rear rails can be added.  I have bought plenty of those from a company called "DL Custom" in Markham.  On one occasion, I even had to order non-standard rails to mount a certain type of equipment.
> Every server I have ever installed came with sliding rails that you
> would attach to the rack and then slide the server into.  The rails were
> specific to the server and not to the rack.

My understanding from what I read earlier in the thread was the rack
mounting rails, as the OP was talking about cabinets missing rails.
> Now maybe there exists other types of rails that are not specific to the
> type of machine you are using, and certainly shelves exist that may be
> rack type specific.

Then that is not what I took from earlier posts.  Those sliding rails
would not come with the cabinet.  I used to work with those rails,
several years ago, on Data General computers and other equipment.
> Apparently what you are calling rails, to me is just the part of the
> rack at the front and rear that you screw the rails onto.  The rails
> are horrizontal, not vertical.

I've always known them as rails and I've worked on many, many cabinets.
They generally come with the cabinets, but can be ordered separately, if
you need more or, as in that one case I mentioned, non-standard ones.
Incidentally, when I ordered from DL Custom, they were also called rails.