[GTALUG] Server rack questions

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Nov 9 17:57:37 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 09, 2015 at 05:14:40PM -0500, James Knott wrote:
> My understanding from what I read earlier in the thread was the rack
> mounting rails, as the OP was talking about cabinets missing rails.

Yes, the rack mounting rails specific to the equipment, ie: the sliding
bits.  That is almost always the bit people are missing for used
equipment.

> Then that is not what I took from earlier posts.  Those sliding rails
> would not come with the cabinet.  I used to work with those rails,
> several years ago, on Data General computers and other equipment.

Yeah the cabinet would not care to have equipment specific sliding rails.
Just the standard spaces (one hopes) holes that you just need the right
screws (and often nuts) for.

> I've always known them as rails and I've worked on many, many cabinets.
> They generally come with the cabinets, but can be ordered separately, if
> you need more or, as in that one case I mentioned, non-standard ones.
> Incidentally, when I ordered from DL Custom, they were also called rails.

I think both are called rails unfortunately.  Most of us just never had
to deal with ordering the vertical rails for the rack/cabinet since they
tend to come with the number we need.

I think the sliding ones are sometimes called mounting rails.

--
Len Sorensen