[GTALUG] Server rack questions

John Sellens jsellens at syonex.com
Fri Nov 6 15:33:18 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015/11/06 02:16:26PM -0600, o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor at gmail.com> wrote:
| >> What else to I need to install 2 old servers and 2 rack UPSs?

If you don't have the proper rails for the servers and UPSs, I'll echo
Lennart's recommendation of https://www.rack-solutions.ca/ (I've purchased
from their US store before the Canadian site existed).  You can search
on ebay for rails to match your servers, but they are likely expensive,
if you can find them.  A generic shelf or universal rails is often a
better choice.

| > I find the main trouble is known what kind of screws a specific type of
| > rack needs.  Would be great if these things had a standard, but apparently
| > they don't.  Well at least there are too many standards to pick from.

My experience says that the most common screw/bolt for racks is 10/32
(see Home Depot).  Some cage nuts are 12/32(?) I think.

If the rack has square holes, many things mount tool-less.

If you need cage nuts, I'll suggest Newark as "reasonable".

Hope that helps!

John