[GTALUG] Keep X from going to sleep

William Witteman wwitteman at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 22:34:54 UTC 2015

On 17 March 2015 at 17:41, Walter Dnes <waltdnes at waltdnes.org> wrote:

> That may not be necessary.  I experience "similar" behaviour, but the
> answer to that is *NOT* to restart X.  Basically, X has told the monitor
> to not merely blank the screen, but to shut down altogether.  When that
> happens to me, and I come back from a distraction elsewhere, I merely
> reach for the "Power" button on the monitor, and toggle it back on
> again.  It's that simple.  Try it.

The monitor if usually off when the described behaviour occurs.  Even
when it is on, power cycling it has no effect.  It is not that simple.

"xset -dpms" doesn't work, nor does "xset s off", nor does "setterm
-blank 0 -powersave off -powerdown 0"

If these commands are achieving ant result, it is being overridden elsewhere.

Ctrl-Alt-F* followed by Ctrl-Alt-F1 *does* work - thanks to Mauro
Sousa.  It is a nicer kludge, and I appreciate it.  However, I'd still
love to figure out a real, permanent solution, if possible.

The WM is OpenBox, which isn't doing any power management, but I will
see if can get it to invoke a different power manager (XFCE looks
promising, based on Lennart's experience) and try that.  I will report
back.