[GTALUG] email formatting [was Re: Keep X from going to sleep]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Mar 17 17:45:15 UTC 2015

I'm using alpine.  It runs in an xterm.

In the message I'm replying to, I cannot tell the quoted text from the new
text.

This may be a "feature" of gmail.  I'm not sure what

I had the same problem with Russell Reiter's postings.  Russell's
postings may have been fixed by his recent switch to k9.  I don't know
since now he's "top posting" (which I think is unfortunate in a
mailing list).  He previously responded-by-chunk, which I think is
great EXCEPT when quote and response are indistinguishable ("red"
doesn't work in plain ASCII).

Here's what I recommend:

- quote relevant chunks of what you are replying to

- add your response after the relevant chunk

- make sure that the quotes and replies are distinct, even in ASCII

- don't quote parts that you are not responding to

This is one way to be considerate of your audience.

Regardless of what I just said, I'm top-posting for this one example
so that you can see what I see.