[GTALUG] Dirty Power and Wi Fi Far field effect

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Sun Mar 15 14:41:20 UTC 2015

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 09:09:12PM -0400, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> Hmm, though that’s reported through a very ‘lolwindpower’ filter.
> Perhaps a more balanced summary is
> http://www.euractiv.com/energy/german-energy-giant-blamed-power-failure/article-161312,
> which describes the situation as:

Yeah that is actually not a very good article on it.  The one I originally
read was in a magazine for power companies, which was much more detailed.

> 1) E.ON Netz has a request to de-energize a major power line at a
> certain time to let an unusually large ship pass underneath. The grid
> operator does a simplistic calculation to show that it’s okay if all
> contingency transmission is available. Neighbouring transmission
> authorities are alerted, as is normal procedure.
>
> 2) The ship is delayed, and so is the downtime. E.ON Netz considers that
> the new proposed time will be better for them, so without any further
> analysis or consultation with neighbouring transmission authorities,
> goes ahead with the delayed downtime.
>
> 3) The other transmission authorities see large frequency instabilities,
> and try to get E.ON Netz to restore the de-energized line. They can’t do
> this, so they call upon a contingency transmission station to switch the
> load. The TX station (rather aptly named Borken) is under maintenance,
> so the bridging/switching fails.
>
> 4) In Germany, most wind power facilities are ‘must run’, so on a windy
> night their output ramps up. This seems more of a failure of grid
> protection and control (P&C) to signal the wind facilities to curtail
> them off in an abnormal grid situation. The ENTSO-E report further
> castigates E.ON Netz for failing to require suitable P&C on wind
> facilities in their area.

It certainly was a number of things done wrong.  Hopefully they have
learned something from it.

> The main report is as interesting as any network failure postmortem
> could ever be:
> https://www.entsoe.eu/fileadmin/user_upload/_library/publications/ce/otherreports/Final-Report-20070130.pdf

That is much better than the link I found first, which had a very
serious bias problem.

--
Len Sorensen