[GTALUG] Dirty Power and Wi Fi Far field effect

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Sat Mar 14 20:21:22 UTC 2015

On 03/14/2015 09:07 AM, Russell Reiter wrote:
> Converting 60hz to 50hz can be done at any point in the grid if the
> proper equipment is installed and could do a lot to clean up errant
> spikes which could adversely affect expensive computer controlled
> equipment.

Where do you dig up this nonsense?  The only way to convert 60 Hz to 50
is with a device designed to do that.  Years ago, that meant rotary
converters, that is a motor tied directly to an alternator, with the
appropriate number of poles to do the power conversion.  These days,
electronic converters can be used to do the same thing and with better
frequency accuracy.  If anyone tried to drag the power line frequency
down to 50 Hz, they may get a visit from the power utility.

> One further point. The current state of EM warfare is so advanced that
> any major municipality who is not hardening its grid is doing a
> significant disservice to its population. Nothing of what I have said
> is beyond the possible realm of the current state of things.

Electronic warfare generally take significantly more power than you'd
find in WiFi.

> My theory is that this wired world is not the wired world of even a
> few years ago.

The power distribution network hasn't changed that much in several years.