[GTALUG] Dirty Power and Wi Fi Far field effect

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Sat Mar 14 12:14:26 UTC 2015

On 03/14/2015 06:57 AM, Russell Reiter wrote:

>     Toronto's polyphase grid is a clusterfuck as it is implemented
>     today. For myself, I don't see hydro dropping voltage on two legs
>     of the residential grid in order to test a highly computerized
>     streetcar.
>

>     I can see them frequency stepping the power at the isolation nodes
>     of the CNE grounds before converting to DC power. You don't have
>     to touch the whole grid, just the parts attached to the DC
>     inverter. Kind of a pre-wash cycle in power laundry.

I don't know where you get your ideas, but an inverter is used to
convert DC to AC.  A rectifier is used to convert AC to DC.

> It was the multiple wi fi fields generated when I fired up several
> devices concurrently which i think toasted the hair dryer. This is a
> known effect. I have since found out that it is only modern gfi
> outlets which have sensitivity enough in their measurements of the
> scope of the surge to counter this effect. Older units in fact can
> compound it.

Now you're talking nonsense.  If WiFi has any effect on a GFI, it would
cause it to trip, killing the power to the dryer.  It is simply not
capable of damaging it.  WiFi runs at about the same frequency as a
microwave oven.  If it was transmitting enough power to damage a hair
dryer, it would also be enough power to cook you!

Do you even know what a Ground Fault Interupter (GFI) does?  It detects
when the current in the hot & neutral wires does not balance, indicating
a possibly hazardous leakage.  It then interrupts the power to remove
the hazard.  That is all it does.  It cannot damage a hair dryer, WiFi
fields or not.