[GTALUG] Live and die by the command line WAS Re: git questions

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 21:18:35 UTC 2015

On 6 March 2015 at 16:02, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com> wrote:
> | From: Giles Orr <gilesorr at gmail.com>
>
> | I used mutt for a year or so (a decade ago), but configuring it always
> | required a huge amount of reading, editing text files, cursing, and
> | rinse and repeat.  While vim is arguably the same, I found the rewards
> | greater - so I continue to use vim but these days I use Gmail's web
> | interface rather than mutt.
>
> alpine is a reasonable and reasonably simple "command line" mail user
> agent.  Much simpler than mutt and much less powerful.
>
> I've been using it for about 20 years.  There might well have been a
> better choice that appeared during that time.
>
> I run my own mail server at home (for more than 30 years) partly to
> avoid giving control of my mail to third parties like Google.  I admit
> that this is somewhat quixotic.

20 years ago I was triple-booting between Windows 95, OS/2, and Linux.
Not only was there a build of Pine (the predecessor of Alpine) for
each, but I got it to work with the same set of data files across all
three OSes.  I quite liked Pine, and used it for a number of years
after that.

I wonder if Alpine can be used with Gmail ...  There seem to be quite
a few answers to that on DuckDuckGo, I may need to do further
investigation!

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/