[GTALUG] Live and die by the command line WAS Re: git questions

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Mar 6 21:02:27 UTC 2015

| From: Giles Orr <gilesorr at gmail.com>

| I used mutt for a year or so (a decade ago), but configuring it always
| required a huge amount of reading, editing text files, cursing, and
| rinse and repeat.  While vim is arguably the same, I found the rewards
| greater - so I continue to use vim but these days I use Gmail's web
| interface rather than mutt.

alpine is a reasonable and reasonably simple "command line" mail user
agent.  Much simpler than mutt and much less powerful.

I've been using it for about 20 years.  There might well have been a
better choice that appeared during that time.

I run my own mail server at home (for more than 30 years) partly to
avoid giving control of my mail to third parties like Google.  I admit
that this is somewhat quixotic.