[GTALUG] 2 networks under ip (iproute2)

Walter Dnes waltdnes at waltdnes.org
Sun Mar 1 11:27:49 UTC 2015

On Sun, Mar 01, 2015 at 01:49:50AM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote
> | From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes at waltdnes.org>
>
> | 1) It's WAD (Working As Designed).  I'm doing what the instructions told
> |    me to do.  YES!!!
>
> There are indications that it will pay attention to DHCP.  See, for
> example, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDHomeRun#General_details> last
> sentence, first paragraph.  Of course it could be wrong.

  This particular model does not... period... end of story.  I've
already posted the results of "get help" for this device.  My model does
***NOT*** show...

...as one of the supported commands.  Later models do.  I've done the
latest firmware upgrade, just in case.

> | 2) It's an ancient model, that does not allow setting a static IP address
>
> 2010 isn't ancient.

  See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXmi-6nVhCM which is the exact
same model I have.  I bought mine in 2010, but the reviewer notes that
it won some award at CES2008.  Consider it a 2008, possibly 2007, model.

> | 3) The setup works fine under ifconfig; but not under ip (iproute2).
> |    Gentoo recently changed to iproute2 as the default networking suite.
> |    I have to over-ride the default to get it working again.
>
> I don't know what that means.  I haven't looked.  But I'm pretty sure
> that the kernel stuff hasn't changed recently.

  Kernel hasn't changed, but the Gentoo linux distribution has.  This is
a Gentoo-specific item.

> | 4) A change of the default is usually a precursor to eventually getting
> |    rid of support for the old default alltogether.  I want to get it
> |    working under ip (iproute2) before Gentoo dumps support for ifconfig.
>
> As far as I know, "real" ifconfig is long gone.

  It waddles like a duck, quacks like a duck, flies like a duck; as far
as I'm concerned it is a duck.  Some people argue that current Intel X86
isn't really a CISC processor.  That it's actually a RISC processor that
emulates a CISC processor.  That's nitpicking.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes at waltdnes.org>