[GTALUG] 2 networks under ip (iproute2)

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Mar 1 06:49:50 UTC 2015

| From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes at waltdnes.org>

| 1) It's WAD (Working As Designed).  I'm doing what the instructions told
|    me to do.  YES!!!

There are indications that it will pay attention to DHCP.  See, for
example, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDHomeRun#General_details> last
sentence, first paragraph.  Of course it could be wrong.

You could consider doing a tcpdump to see what the thing does when it
is turned on.  I don't know what you have as a dhcp server -- it is
handy if it can run tcpdump.  Still, enough of the protocol is
broadcast that you should be able to get a clue whether the HDHR is
DHCPing.

There are also indications that it doesn't want the stream to be
routed; it wants to be communicating only on the network segment
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HDHomeRun#Requirements>

A little bit confusing.

| 2) It's an ancient model, that does not allow setting a static IP address

2010 isn't ancient.  The iproute2 was added to Linux perhaps 15 years
ago.  ifconfig has been emulated for a long long time.  So anything
you can do with ifconfig out to be possible with the ip command.

>From ip(8):
HISTORY
       ip was written by Alexey N. Kuznetsov and added in Linux 2.2.

| 3) The setup works fine under ifconfig; but not under ip (iproute2).
|    Gentoo recently changed to iproute2 as the default networking suite.
|    I have to over-ride the default to get it working again.

I don't know what that means.  I haven't looked.  But I'm pretty sure
that the kernel stuff hasn't changed recently.

| 4) A change of the default is usually a precursor to eventually getting
|    rid of support for the old default alltogether.  I want to get it
|    working under ip (iproute2) before Gentoo dumps support for ifconfig.

As far as I know, "real" ifconfig is long gone.

The documentation of the ip command is so terrible that I still use
ifconfig.