[GTALUG] dedicated servers in Canada

Blaise Alleyne email+libre at blaise.ca
Tue Jul 28 05:29:44 UTC 2015

On 27/07/15 05:38 PM, Dave Cramer wrote:
> This https://www.ovh.com/ca/en/dedicated-servers/enterprise/2014-SP-128.xml#options
>
> Doesn't look like a bad deal, does anyone have any recommendations for hosting
> in Canada.

I use and recommend iWeb (Montreal):
https://iweb.com/

They have decent dedicated and OpenStack cloud servers. I manage a run "Smart
Servers", which are essentially dedicated servers but with a virtualized layer
that allows you to swap hardware pretty quickly. I haven't tried their OpenStack
cloud.

Though over the past year or so I've been switching services away from iWeb to
VPS solutions... mostly outside Canada, with Linode, Digital Ocean, etc.

But for dedicated servers, iWeb is top pick for me -- Canada or otherwise. They
aren't perfect -- I've had a couple bad tech support experiences -- but they're
pretty solid and I'm pretty happy with the Smart Server option as far as
dedicated servers go.

I do run a Cartika VPS:
https://www.cartika.com/

Can't say I'm super happy with it... if I had to stay in Canada, I might stick
with them, but VPS performance feels slow, VPS upgrade pricing sucks, and the
web admin VPS interface experience was pretty limited and lousy (especially
after I experienced Linode / Digital Ocean)... that said, it's been a few years
since I've looked at that, and they seem to have done a big makeover in the last
year or two, so maybe worth another look.

And some of those criticisms don't really apply to dedicated servers... They
have a Toronto data centre and offer dedicated servers. If I had to leave iWeb
and go dedicated elsehwere in Canada, I'd take a look at their dedicated offerings:
https://www.cartika.com/services/dedicated-servers/

One other company that I flagged for further review was Cirrus:
http://www.cirrushosting.com/dedicatedservers/dedicated-server-canada.html

I have no experience with this company though.

HTH

Blaise