[GTALUG] PanAm games online steaming -how?

Andrej Marjan andrej at marjan.ca
Mon Jul 20 17:14:02 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 12:36 PM, Kevin Cozens <kevin at ve3syb.ca> wrote:

> On 15-07-19 11:46 AM, Aruna Hewapathirane wrote:>> <snip>
> >> Ken wrote:
> >>
> >>     Â The question of why I could not use Ice-weasel for that purpose
> >>     however remains.
> >>
> > it shows me Adobe Flash Player*Â -Â Version:Â 16.0.0.305**
> > Shockwave Flash 16.0 r0*
> >
> > So am guessing Ice-weasel is unable to play the stream due to the flash
> > version not being the very latest as in chrome.
>
> That is one of the problems one runs in to with watching live video off of
> websites run by TV networks. Their sites are set up to be used by Windows
> users, almost as if everyone uses Windows (or has access to a machine that
> runs Windows). They often use, or require the latest version of some
> Windows created player software. The Linux versions often lag behind and
> you find you can't see their video.

It's about two bits of functionality that are available in anything
approaching current versions of Flash, that aren't available in the
ancient, orphaned version for Linux.

1. DRM - right-click on a player showing a stream from one of these major
sporting events (panam, olympics) and you'll see that the Flash player has
loaded a plethora of DRM plugins.

2. Adaptive streaming - it'll automatically pick the highest quality stream
your connection supports and automatically renegotiate with the server (no
manual choosing of image quality like on Youtube). I wouldn't be surprised
if support for newer and more efficient codecs were also available, but
I've never bothered checking.

Adobe abandoned Linux as a platform many years ago. Google still ports
current versions of Flash to Linux, with all the bells and whistles, but
that requires the use of the proprietary Google Chrome browser.

> I had that happen on a site showing Olympics coverage where I needed to
> use Moonlight(?) which was the Linux equivalent of the Windows specific
> plug-in needed to play the website video. The latest version of Moonlight
> wasn't able to play the video as you required the almost very latest
> version of Silverlight (IIRC).

Yes that was lousy - I think that was Vancouver. The last Olympics used
Flash, which worked just fine on Linux thanks to Google but still required
proprietary software.