[GTALUG] war story: keyboard failure leads to sustained mayhem

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Mon Jul 6 15:41:05 UTC 2015

On 07/06/2015 11:36 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> USB doesn't count as a keyboard?  Or is it that the switch doesn't
> "fake" the keyboard and mouse for the unselected computers?  In that
> case, it would look to the computer as if the mouse and keyboard were
> plugged in each time the computer were selected and unplugged each
> time it is deselected.

It appears the KVM doesn't "fake" a keyboard, so I have to plug a real
keyboard into that one computer.  All the rest work fine as is, after
configuring the CMOS so that the computer will boot without a keyboard.
I haven't noticed any issues with not having a mouse plugged in, but
then a mouse isn't usually critical for using a computer.  Back in the
days before GUIs, we usually didn't even own a mouse.