[GTALUG] war story: keyboard failure leads to sustained mayhem

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Jul 6 15:36:37 UTC 2015

| From: James Knott <james.knott at rogers.com>

| I have a KVM that does HDMI and USB, so video, keyboard, mouse and even
| audio are switched.

Nice!  What is the brand and model of the KVM?

|  As I said, the one computer requires a keyboard
| plugged in, but all work through the KVM.

USB doesn't count as a keyboard?  Or is it that the switch doesn't
"fake" the keyboard and mouse for the unselected computers?  In that
case, it would look to the computer as if the mouse and keyboard were
plugged in each time the computer were selected and unplugged each
time it is deselected.

I have a USB KVM switch that switches auxiliary USB but for USB
keyboard and mouse sockets fakes them for the unselected computers.