[GTALUG] 2 networks under ip (iproute2)

Scott Allen mlxxxp at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 00:18:22 UTC 2015

On 27 February 2015 at 19:01, James Knott <james.knott at rogers.com> wrote:
> Try it.  I have, with ping, browsers and ssh.  They all require the
> interface to be specified.

But it's only a requirement because that's the way those programs were
written. I could write a new version of ping6, or any other program,
that first checked if there was only one interface and, if so, didn't
require the user to specify it. I could also write a ping6 version
that tried each interface until it got a response.

So, like I said it's a convention, not a requirement.

BTW, the %<interface> format is a standard and can also be used with
ping6 instead of -I.

--
Scott