[GTALUG] 2 networks under ip (iproute2)

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Sat Feb 28 00:01:23 UTC 2015

On 02/27/2015 06:50 PM, Scott Allen wrote:
> That's not necessarily a requirement. The interface wouldn't have to
> be specified if there was only one. It's just what whoever wrote the
> software decided to do, due to laziness, or wanting consistency, or
> being unable to determine if there was only one interface.

Try it.  I have, with ping, browsers and ssh.  They all require the
interface to be specified.  With ping6, it the -I option.  With ssh &
browsers it's %<interface>.  Unlike routable addresses, there is nothing
in an IPv6 link local address to specify what network it's on and, in
fact, it's possible to have the same link local address on multiple
networks connected to the same device.