[GTALUG] hobbyist web hosting recommendations?

Nigel Auger subs1 at augermax.com
Mon Dec 21 17:26:59 UTC 2015

You may also want to check out dreamhost.com if you don't mind using a US
based service. You get shell access with their standard hosting plan and
they seem to offer unlimited everything (data storage, data use, hosted web
sites, users, etc.). You get one free domain and, I believe, unlimited
subdomains ("something.dreamhosters.com") which are great for
experimenting, informal blogging, etc.. I use the shell access regularly
for socks proxy browsing and watching US based entertainment. If you are
not in a rush, I suggest waiting for one of their promotions. I literally
paid something like $10 for an entire year when I first started using them.
Also, the lifehacker.com blog usually reports when they have a deal on or
when lifehacker themselves have a Dreamhost promotion code that readers can
use.