[GTALUG] Ten grand for this?

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Sat Dec 19 11:27:28 UTC 2015

On 18/12/15 11:37 PM, Anthony de Boer wrote:
> I'm told the Pentagon leans toward taking its busted hard drives to a
> nearby army base and melting them down with thermite. I've found that
> a .25" drill bit tends to go dull really fast drilling through old
> hard drives, but a pneumatic chisel with a pointy bit turns them into
> unreadable scrap pretty quickly. The project being worth $10k to
> someone does rather say that someone found that a better bargain than
> going to jail.

They're a former customer of mine: when a disk goes in US data centres,
they cut off the identifying label with a power-saw and return it for
credit, then grind the disks themselves to dust. Certain field-use
equipment is destroyed by shoving thermite or a WP grenade in the back
of the case and running like hell.

If I were tasked with cleaning up after something that required disk
destruction, I'd order a bunch of new preinstalled-windows disks first,
swap them out and then disassemble and grind off the magnetic surfaces
with a disk-grinder before discarding the old disks.

--dave