[GTALUG] UEFI bios/firmware

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Aug 11 17:22:52 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 10:47:12AM -0400, Abby wrote:
> Hello LenThank you for your help.In at least 3 computers I have come across, that has this option grayed out. As shown in pic1 of that link you supplied. So it is not accessible. Every link I came across, basicly had the same solution you described. There for those three computers can not have a true format done. All three have corrupted hinden partions. Putting a new hard drive will not help either. New mother boards would help.Cheers Abby

Well you might have to type an admin password to unlock some settings.

But windows 8 logo certification requires that the end user be able to
change that setting, so there has to be a way.  Otherwise it would not
be allowed to ship with a windows 8 logo sticker on it.

Some places say that if a supervisor password is set it has to be cleared
before you can change secure boot.

And you have to be sure windows 8 is really shutdown before entering
the bios, which supposedly you do by holding shift down when telling
windows to shutdown/restart.

--
Len Sorensen