[GTALUG] Virtualized OSes

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Wed Apr 22 15:43:39 UTC 2015

On 04/21/2015 09:45 PM, Giles Orr wrote:
> Today at work we had an interesting discussion about Digital
> Ocean: the suggestion was made (and undoubtedly it's obvious to many
> on this list, but it was eye-opening to me, I'm still getting my head
> around disposable machines) that if you weren't sure an upgrade to a
> droplet would work, just clone it, do the upgrade on the clone and see
> how it goes.  Then you can make your decision and destroy the unwanted
> version.
> I've already ruled out OpenVZ as it looks like all virtualized systems
> have to use the same kernel.
On Solaris, we did tons with very-lightweight VMs, using code for
security isolation that could create "containers" that looked just like
machines.

The only limitation was the common OS version, and you could be ahead of
the evrsion in userspace stuff like shared libraries.  We rarely found
cases where we wanted a different OS, just some where we wanted to
emulate an older one.

--dave