[GTALUG] Help; system date goes to GMT hour when I hibernate

Walter Dnes waltdnes at waltdnes.org
Mon Apr 6 15:48:13 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 06, 2015 at 11:01:47AM -0400, James Knott wrote
> On 04/06/2015 02:31 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
>

> You may want to check your clock.  You apparently sent this message
> about 3.5 hours from now.  Or perhaps you were just being proactive.
> ;-)

  Actually, it was 4 hours.  I have a bunch of spreadsheets, browser
tabs, etc, open all the time, scattered over various work areas.  Rather
than re-open them every day, I simply hibernate, using suspend-to-disk.
This way, things are where I left them.

  The past couple of months, when the machine comes up from hibernation,
the clock is a few hours ahead.  Now it's 4 hours ahead.  It was 5 hours
ahead before the switch to daylight savings time.  This looks
suspiciously like GMT.

  After reading your email, I dug deeper.  Apparently, it's just the
"kernel system time" that gets bumped forward when it comes up from
hibernation.  The BIOS clock is OK.  As a heavy-handed hack, I've
inserted the line...

OnResume 01 hwclock --hctosys

...into my /etc/hibernate/hibernate.conf.  This copies over the BIOS
time to the kernel system date.  It works, but I'd really like to know
why it's necessary in the first place.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes at waltdnes.org>