[GTALUG] Lennart Poettering talk on new features of systemd at FOSDEM

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Sat Apr 4 03:11:04 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 10:13:23PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> I'm glad that it is a sufficiently vital project to have things going on.
>
> I'm pretty happy to see them adding things that smell like extra
> services, though this shouldn't require "kernel of systemd"
> involvement, surely.  For instance, if timesyncd is a wee service
> where they combine some shell scripts (or such) with a service
> configuration file, that's great.
>
> I'm less enthralled with the vast variety; it does indeed look like
> "scope creep."
>
> Explain to me WHY it needs BTRFS support, why this isn't better
> separated from systemd concerns.  I gather that it's intended to help
> support the "containering" support, which might be OK, but when scope
> creeps, I get a bit scared that the service is trying to be the
> "creep" of Linux, and that's no good thing.

I suspect that just like systemd has container and virtual machine
management support, it is now adding btrfs volume and snapshot management
support (some of which might even be useful in conjunction with containers
or virtual machines).

It does seem like trying to tie too many things together.

Had you noticed there is a machined virtual machine manager in systemd?
I only noticed that recently.  And of course machinectl to go with it.
You can even do systemctl -M vmname command, to run systemctl command
inside that named vm.  I suppose that could be convinient.

--
Len Sorensen