[GTALUG] Lennart Poettering talk on new features of systemd at FOSDEM

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 02:13:23 UTC 2015

On 2 April 2015 at 16:15, Alex Volkov <alex at flamy.ca> wrote:
> I thought it would be relevant to this list. Among the new features --
>
> https://fosdem.org/2015/schedule/event/whats_new_in_systemd,_2015_edition/

I'm glad that it is a sufficiently vital project to have things going on.

I'm pretty happy to see them adding things that smell like extra
services, though this shouldn't require "kernel of systemd"
involvement, surely.  For instance, if timesyncd is a wee service
where they combine some shell scripts (or such) with a service
configuration file, that's great.

I'm less enthralled with the vast variety; it does indeed look like
"scope creep."

Explain to me WHY it needs BTRFS support, why this isn't better
separated from systemd concerns.  I gather that it's intended to help
support the "containering" support, which might be OK, but when scope
creeps, I get a bit scared that the service is trying to be the
"creep" of Linux, and that's no good thing.