Microsoft Calls

Russell Reiter rreiter91-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 27 16:42:09 UTC 2014

Speaking of Fun. I dug into the tickle trunk and pulled out a SODIMM
and added 256mb to the flaky Toshiba you offered up to the list a
while ago. That RAM coupled with Debian XFCE and using LightDM dropped
the drive temperature sensor below 40c on normal video load. Xine
worked for digital video's and surfing with Iceweasel was no problem.

I'm assuming that the bios had sensed the extra RAM memory and updated
the video aperture from 32M to 64M. Although I couldn't see a way to
force either up or down in the bios. I saw somewhere that it will
automatically set to 128M  on 1 gig of ram.

Here's how I trashed the hard drive. BTW I'm changing my self
definition from Blunt Force Hacker to Ham Handed Hacker.

Remember I'm searching for a solution to a problem I perceive in a
Hardware Abstraction Layer. Reported as the MP bios bug. it is the
Multi Processor, or as some wag had named it, the Military Potential
bug, because your battery might blow up accidentally on purpose.

The DSDT fix for the routing for the the timer had already been
applied on install of this Debian Spin onto the Toshiba. It seems to
have had little real effect except for reducing dmesg errors, however
the ACPI timer sill wasn't connecting the clock through IRO0.

Applying the Radeon firmware helped somewhat, but it was the extra ram
which kept the drive temperature from rising too quickly. There is no
cpu temperature sensor so I was monitoring the drive temperature to
try and figure out if improving chassis cooling would help.

Then I did apt-get update and installed Google Chrome and all its
package updates. I opened up a web page and walked away. A couple of
minutes later I went back and the drive temp was 47 and rising one
degree every 5 seconds or so, then the screen went black.

Now that was fun!

I have another drive but I'm looking around for a 1gig PC2700 SODIMM
before I have at it again.

I haven't touched the other Toshiba yet. My girlfriend won't let me
reflow the Motherboard in our oven at home.

Cheers
Russell