Semi OT: Academic Firewall Rules

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed May 21 21:21:36 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 12:47:27PM -0400, William Witteman wrote:
> I have worked at a couple of Toronto institutions (U of T, George
> Brown) and currently work for a hospital in Québec (City).
>
> Hospitals are more restricted than Universities/Colleges.
> At the hospitals they tend to buy nanny-state firewalls off the shelf,
> which can provide reports and block file sharing, adult content and a
> wide range of other things (social networking, games, weapons, etc.)
>
> Universities tend to be more open and managed with other tools.  I
> know that at U of T they routinely scan for servers, vulnerabilities,
> file-sharers, but allow open web access but not SSH in some buildings.

And based on my wife's info being a PhD student there, you do not want
to do bittorrent (she hasn't tried, but has heard what happens to people
who try).  I know Waterloo doesn't allow bittorrent either (with an
exception for the computer science club to share their videos from talks).

--
Len Sorensen