Semi OT: Academic Firewall Rules

William Witteman wwitteman-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed May 21 16:47:27 UTC 2014

I have worked at a couple of Toronto institutions (U of T, George
Brown) and currently work for a hospital in Québec (City).

Hospitals are more restricted than Universities/Colleges.
At the hospitals they tend to buy nanny-state firewalls off the shelf,
which can provide reports and block file sharing, adult content and a
wide range of other things (social networking, games, weapons, etc.)

Universities tend to be more open and managed with other tools.  I
know that at U of T they routinely scan for servers, vulnerabilities,
file-sharers, but allow open web access but not SSH in some buildings.