Ubuntu Touch

Tim Tisdall tisdall-DXT9u3ndKiSh7up9GtFB90EOCMrvLtNR at public.gmane.org
Thu May 15 13:05:06 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 12:22 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> | From: Bill Thanis <qwerty172-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>
> | Try looking at http://plasma-active.org/
>
> Thanks.  That's interesting.
>
> It doesn't seem as if it is going to run traditional X applications.
> But I could be wrong.  I think that it depends on what's underneath
> it.  QT is mandatory.
>
> It is built on Mer which is what got created by refugees of Meego.  I
> think that they share stuff with Jolla and (they hope) Tizen.
>
> I have a device with an ancestor of this code: a Nokia n800 tablet.
> It didn't run X.

I have an N800 and an N900.  I'm pretty sure both run X.  In the past, just
for fun, I SSH'ed into my laptop with X forwarding on and ran GIMP, it
loaded up on the screen with no issues (though, messy because those devices
only do full screen windows and GIMP opens multiple windows).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mir_(software) says there's also work on an X
compatibility layer, so hopefully this means all X applications will
continue to work as before.