Ubuntu Touch

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu May 15 04:22:18 UTC 2014

| From: Bill Thanis <qwerty172-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| Try looking at http://plasma-active.org/

Thanks.  That's interesting.

It doesn't seem as if it is going to run traditional X applications.
But I could be wrong.  I think that it depends on what's underneath
it.  QT is mandatory.

It is built on Mer which is what got created by refugees of Meego.  I
think that they share stuff with Jolla and (they hope) Tizen.

I have a device with an ancestor of this code: a Nokia n800 tablet.
It didn't run X.

| From: Bill Thanis <qwerty172-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| Also here is an article reviewing five distros. Might be worth reading.
|
| http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/install-linux-on-your-x86-tablet-five-distros-to-choose-from-1162825/1

Yeah, I had looked at that.  It's a year old -- I had hoped that the
situation had improved.

One system they tested was Kubuntu Active (with Plasma Active).  The
review wasn't too positive.  A year and three releases later things
might be better.

They seemed to like Fedora.  I don't sww much tablety stuff in my
F20-on-a-tablet.  They praised "tapping, swiping and other tablet
gestures".  I guess tapping is like mouse clicking (works for me).
Swiping?  All I can do is swipe to the top left corner to get the
dock (is that the right name?).  I don't know what other tablet
gestures.  Certainly not pinch-zoom.  Certainly not two-finger
dragging (but that does work on the touchpad).