Trying to create wireless network between mac and Ubuntu box

jim cinetron-uEvt2TsIf2EsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 1 16:23:20 UTC 2014

I'm trying to set up a wireless network between a Mac and a Ubuntu
laptop. I am using Ubuntu 13.1 .When I use "create network" in either
the Mac or Ubuntu menus everything looks good at first. I can log into a
network whether created on the Mac or Ubuntu. I manually set consecutive
IP addresses and make sure subnet mask is the same on both machines.
However if I try to ping either direction it doesn't work. Not sure what
I am doing wrong. Does anyone know if there is a gotcha for setting up a
network in this configuration.
Thanks,
Jim