Linux Kernel Network Subsystem Patching

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 23 20:46:35 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 02:02:10PM -0500, Aruna Hewapathirane wrote:
> >Hmm, that is a rather low budget for anything decent x86 wise.
> Lennart if I had the resources I would go purchase that IBM you were saying
> compiled a kernel with make allyesconfig in under six seconds but am on
> disability, I have a family far way across the world to support and put
> food on the table and cover rent and pay utility bills and it goes on...
> and on. So unless I win lotto6/49 or some good Samaritan decides to give me
> his/her second hand system am stuck with this measly budget.

I suspect that IBM system costs over $1000000.  They don't list prices.

> Oh dear... well one lives and learns I guess. Thank you for all the
> valuable info, will rethink all this and decide.

I think about the cheapest you can do a new machine with the lowest
components of everything is around $300 or so.  Uping that by another
$100 probably close to doubles what you get.

> Yes it is picky but the documentation says once everything is configured
> and you get things going ccache can show a remarkable improvement in
> compilation time. If I had a dual core with 8gigs of ram probably would not
> need ccache ?
> <https://sites.google.com/site/arunahewapathirane/home/business-card/buisness-card.png?attredirects=0>

Well the instructions I see says you can either do:

put ccache in front of the compiler command line

or

Create symlinks matching the name of the compiler in the path earlier than the compiler.  /usr/local/bin being a common place, so for example:

ln -s `which ccache` /usr/local/bin/gcc
ln -s `which ccache` /usr/local/bin/g++
ln -s `which ccache` /usr/local/bin/cc
ln -s `which ccache` /usr/local/bin/c++